Has child with the middle name Acropora
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 869
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Social Veteran Tagger First Class Overdrive 25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award

Level

Where & How Often does anyone shop fro Corals?

I find that I hardly do anymore shopping for corals either lfs or from local collectors as much as I used to back when. Guess it has to do with work & family commitments, limited time schedules & coral buddies have come and gone. Some totally quit, got married or relocated to another country etc. ...

This hobby isn't as exciting and crazy as it used to be back when I first started getting involved in this hobby addiction. Back then coral pricing were affordable and lots to be shared all around but things have changed dramatically since the last several years. Coral collectors have begun to take notice of the US 'inflated" prices (as opposed to the low wholesale prices offered to foreign lfs /buyers) for so called "Rainbow" corals that's enhanced and super saturated by artificial LED light supplement. And thus began the rise of less favourable pricing for ordinary common corals which started off as $40 to $65 to over $100 a piece nowadays!!! Back then anything over $65 would land you a nice colony sized corals and acropora's were at $55 a pop & wild colony too. This is by no means the fault of most lfs as the trickle effect starts from the coral collectors themselves. Some coral collectors are just as crooked & greedy as per one fine example of the promise (to lfs ) of a so claimed very colourful piece of coral that turned up to be very plain & green colour based coral for a exorbitant wholesale price ... in USD$ as well! Or another eg. in order to acquire one specific Grade AAA+ Super Neon Red Gornopiora and that the lfs has to get a whackload of plain Green Goni's inclusive in this deal. A lot of times what we request for from our lfs doesn't mean it's guaranteed as it's what the collector's give whatever they pack and shipped to the lfs .

LFS ' have come and go ... good ones are far in between. I don't usually go to regular stores just because they sell corals. I've never purchased corals from local reefers until about a few years ago and yeah ... we're talking more like coral frags and on odd times wild colony as well. Some reefers have their own personal go to LFS for whatever their required needs.

I still do keep in touch with local AP members & less from overseas anymore. No time and doesn't make sense when everything related to the reef hobby is getting expensive. I can't see nor justify myself forking out $300 to over $500 bucks for a single ReefBrite actinic supplement LED fixture when the end result of the super saturated colours from the corals are so fake and super enhancement of unseen colours thus the term "Rainbow"!!

My tank system is very simple and ever since I've rebooted the hobby, I have yet to get the readily available sump up and running. I do weekly manual water changes & I hardly check the water parameters anymore. When I see the corals are growing and nothing dies, it's all good. That reminds me to replace my overdue T5 bulbs ...

And as the story goes ... What's Up reefers??

Set up date: August 2004 Display Size: 90 Gallon Total Water In System: 90 gallons Do you have a sump? NO
    Do you have a refugium? NO Amount of Liverock: 30++ lbs Depth of Sandbed: 1++ inch Salinity level: 1.026
    ALK level: To Come .. Ammonia: To Come .. Nitrate: N/A Nitrite: N/A
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: To Come ..
    ATI T5HO 6 (54W ATI Blue Plus & Coral Plus) Skimmerless ... for now Bubble Magus 3 Part Auto Dosing
    Fish and Inverts: P. Grandis, Palys & Zoas, Rainbow BTA's, Favia, Aussie Duncans, Chalices, various Euphyllias, various Gonioporas & Selected Acroporas. RARE Leathers, Xenia & Soft Corals combo. Juve Purple Tang & Pygmy Angel, Picasso & Wyoming clownfish Corals: Whatever's saved from the 2013 Ice Storm

D'ya Want A Piece of Me??

Back in Being Salty ...

Studjunior is offline Registered User

Believes sushi would be better alive,
    swimming in the aquarium
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 145
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class 5000 Experience Points Social Veteran

Level

Re: Where & How Often does anyone shop fro Corals?

I just set y my new tank and just started added fish. I'm still not at the stage of adding corals yet but I will be over the next month or 2. I do like going to stores to see their corals but for the most part I buy from local reefs selling Frags . I like seeing a coral grow from a little stub instead of a colony. Time is definitely at a premium these days so I do find it a lot harder to go shopping like I used to. Prices have gone up significantly over the last few years but the same can be said for the price of fish... I remember buying my first male super male flame wrasse for $100...... how I wish for these old prices!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Set up date: April 2014 Display Size: 240 Gallons Total Water In System: 400 Gallons Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? YES Amount of Liverock: 150 LB Depth of Sandbed: 1 Salinity level: 1.025
    ALK level: 0 Ammonia: 0 Nitrate: 0 Nitrite: 0
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: 0
    AI Prime HD * 4 36' 2 - bulb T5 *4 Reef Octopus Regal 220 INT No
    Fish and Inverts: 2 * Grade A Picasso Clownfish, Blue Tang, Yellow Tang, Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Royal Gramma * 2, Golden Rhomboid wrasse, Lineatus Wrasse Corals: RBTA, frogspawn, 1 SPS
    Other Equipment: UV Sterilizer GFO reactor Other Information: New 240g build http://www.aquariumpros.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=47533

Sea MunnKey is offline Registered User

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award

Level
    Threadstarter

I have to confess I'm not a fish guy although I do occasionally browse at them while I'm at the store ... wondering (to myself ... lol ) if only we could frag this fish and wouldn't that be cool?

I do have a juvenile Purple Tang, a "passed along" so called Pygmy Angel, pair of different strain of clownfish & a filefish (please eradicate them nasty aiptasia !!) Lost a hard to find Red Head wrasse and they don't come around that often too.

Since my re-boot I have only lost one RR acro frag (and not cheap) and it comes with the no guarantee live or death wish list tag ... lol
    Last edited by Sea MunnKey; May 30th, 2017 at 11:52 PM.

Set up date: August 2004 Display Size: 90 Gallon Total Water In System: 90 gallons Do you have a sump? NO
    Do you have a refugium? NO Amount of Liverock: 30++ lbs Depth of Sandbed: 1++ inch Salinity level: 1.026
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: To Come ..
    ATI T5HO 6 (54W ATI Blue Plus & Coral Plus) Skimmerless ... for now Bubble Magus 3 Part Auto Dosing
    Fish and Inverts: P. Grandis, Palys & Zoas, Rainbow BTA's, Favia, Aussie Duncans, Chalices, various Euphyllias, various Gonioporas & Selected Acroporas. RARE Leathers, Xenia & Soft Corals combo. Juve Purple Tang & Pygmy Angel, Picasso & Wyoming clownfish Corals: Whatever's saved from the 2013 Ice Storm

Back in Being Salty ...

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award

Level
    Threadstarter

This can't be right ... only viewers and no comments from other reefers except the 2 of us? C'mon guys ... chime in and have a say as per the above mentioned title.

Back in Being Salty ...

T55 is offline Registered User

Just recently rented "Finding Nemo"
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 221
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran 10000 Experience Points

Level

I know how you're feeling Sea Monkey, I was in the hobby for approximately 15 years (all marine) and came home one day and said that's it, I've had enough I shut down my tank sold all of my live stock and some equipment. The hobby wasn't fun for me anymore, I think that there was this competition out there to see who could find the rarest piece of coral each time a shipment came in. Lineups at marine stores where they would only let so many people in the store at one time and as the people inside the store left a few new ones were allowed in. Crazy right and this was a hobby.
    Well after being out of the hobby for 7 years I was at a friends house and I must have spend a couple hours starring at his tank when I realized that I still loved this hobby but not its politics. I've started up a 90 gallon marine tank, I agree with you that the cost of equipment and corals is crazy but half the fun is shopping around. I've met several hobbyists that sell frags at a reasonable price and they are always willing to lend you a hand when you run into trouble. The hobby has gotten a lot more expensive but I'm impressed with the hobbyists, unlike the first time I was in the hobby everyone had their own little secrets about what to add to their tanks. This time around I've found that people are willing to share their information with you, no one wants to see anyone fail and not enjoy the hobby. I HAVE REALLY ENJOYED the hobby and the friends that I've made.

Set up date: July 2014 Display Size: 87 gallons, Total Water In System: 127 gallons Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? NO Amount of Liverock: 60 lbs.,/Fiji Depth of Sandbed: 1/2 inch Salinity level: 1.026
    ALK level: 10 Ammonia: 0 Nitrate: 0 ppm Nitrite: 0 ppm
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: 400
    Vertex Lumina 260 "LED", 3 Foot Length Vertex Omega 150 Cone Deltec/601
    Fish and Inverts: 2 Percula Clowns, 1 yellow tang Corals: zoo's, acans, sps, mushrooms, ricordias
    Other Equipment: 2 MP 40's, reefbrite blue XHO L.E.D. strip, Eheim 1260 pump, Korallin BioDenitrator Other Information: Occasionally drip kalk. as needed.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award

Level
    Threadstarter

Old or seasoned reefers like us are should I dare to say ... Hard to Find nowadays

Tried every imaginable remedies and treatment just to prove it works back then .... well now all I do is my routine daily visual check and if the corals are growing, it's all good!! Weekly water changes with regular Instant Ocean salt unlike back when Reef Crystal, Tropic Marin, Aqua-Vitro were the talked about salt. Marketing hype IMO .

Gone are the days of .... "damn I gotta have this or that corals!" Now it's let them grow out from frags or the left over acropora's from LFS (surprisingly these sps tend to colour up nicely) and if they survive the long term in my tank it's all good but if they don't ... oh well it's all good as well.. No worries nor stress at all.

This hobby has really died down a lot and mainly because of the steep pricing IMO and not a lot of specialty LFS to cater to our sinful abyss lust for corals. Whole lot of reefers have moved on to different "pastures".

... Put Some Sugar in Tank

Back in Being Salty ...

Studjunior is offline Registered User

Believes sushi would be better alive,
    swimming in the aquarium
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 145
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class 5000 Experience Points Social Veteran

Level

definitely sad to see how much the hobby has cooled here in T.O. I think ppl are also just busier these days. Too many distractions and no time to enjoy what we true love. I still have my passions for the hobby but less time for the thrill of the buy. Over time I've also developed a greater passion for the fish I keep. that's one of the things I'm excited about with my new tank. At 8 feet the possibilities are endless (except for Angels because of my corals).

I remember the days when there would be tons of feed back and comments on a new build here.... I started my build thread and have been disappointed.....

I hope it all comes back to it's glory though.

Set up date: April 2014 Display Size: 240 Gallons Total Water In System: 400 Gallons Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? YES Amount of Liverock: 150 LB Depth of Sandbed: 1 Salinity level: 1.025
    ALK level: 0 Ammonia: 0 Nitrate: 0 Nitrite: 0
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: 0
    AI Prime HD * 4 36' 2 - bulb T5 *4 Reef Octopus Regal 220 INT No
    Fish and Inverts: 2 * Grade A Picasso Clownfish, Blue Tang, Yellow Tang, Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Royal Gramma * 2, Golden Rhomboid wrasse, Lineatus Wrasse Corals: RBTA, frogspawn, 1 SPS
    Other Equipment: UV Sterilizer GFO reactor Other Information: New 240g build http://www.aquariumpros.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=47533

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award

Level
    Threadstarter

For the first time in many, many months I went to NAFB and can't believe all the corals available from the previous shipment ... chalices, huge Yumas (well over $150 a pop), Blastos, Euphyllias, deep water thin branching Pink and green tips sps . I grabbed myself a odd looking multi coloured monti ... it's base was almost dark burgundy with "rainbow" polyps.

Picked up a couple of ATI Blue Plus and Coral Plus bulbs & fish pellet food.

---------- Post added June 16th, 2017 at 12:30 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Studjunior View Post

I remember the days when there would be tons of feed back and comments on a new build here.... I started my build thread and have been disappointed.....

I hope it all comes back to it's glory though.
    Sorry bud ... I wasn't here to "support" your build thread. And whatever happened to Tim aka Sohal Tang .... ha haha hahahah hahhh

---------- Post added June 16th, 2017 at 12:36 AM ----------

Back then there used to be online feuds, bashing, haters, lps vs. sps legions which makes it more interesting but lookit now .... hardly a word/comment posted. Some comments would take like over a month for someone to read or post ... dangit man!!

Where is the Love/Hate?
    Last edited by Sea MunnKey; June 16th, 2017 at 12:40 AM.

Back in Being Salty ...

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award

Level
    Threadstarter

Been shopping around for PVC, ball valves, unions etc. to complete my "dry" sump and I'm hoping to release tank water down to sump and recycle back to main tank this weekend. And activate the skimmer as well. Install the Tunze ATO too.

Yesterday I picked up a PVC cutter (instead of manual hand saw) and man it was a breeze to cut through PVC's. Only thing about the PVC cutter is that it doesn't do a straight cut ... maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Most times it's been weekly water changes ...

Back in Being Salty ...

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award

Level
    Threadstarter

Running outta time to complete the sump etc. ... dangit!!!

Back in Being Salty ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information