Sea MunnKey is offline Registered User

Has child with the middle name Acropora
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 997
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    Social Veteran Tagger First Class Overdrive 25000 Experience Points

Level

Wink Acro eating Crabs ... dangit!!!

Ever since I started re-booting my old 90 gallon and along the way I've acquired a wild colony and local frags of acroporas of my liking. Back then I noticed a small dirty mustard colour & hairy looking crab in between the branching acros and thought that it was kinda "cute" although in the back of my mind I knew this particular crab would not be beneficial to my acroporas right ... ?

Well after several months forward I started noticing "whitish" appearance on my acropora coralites and the acros aren't dying or dead at all! Then I look away to the wild acro colony which is growing like so fast but the new growth were nipped/cut off it's new growth tips. Also found evidence of nipping on a Blue acro frag tips as well. This time I discovered there was like 2 Gorilla crabs and oh man ... are they ever so hairy with their infamous black tip claws. Last night I saw the smaller crab happily munching on another acro and that's when I decided to use my forceps and grabbed both crabs to another holding tank. it took some "merry go round"around the coralites The first crab got really big in such short time ...

Some say they're okay to 'groom" bigger and healthier acropora colony but I'm not taking any chances especially with acroporas and who knows they might wander to the bottom and "annihilate" my precious zoas & Palys kingdom. Dang man!!

Lesson learned .. don't be a fool!!

Set up date: August 2004 Display Size: 90 Gallon Total Water In System: 90 gallons Do you have a sump? NO
    Do you have a refugium? NO Amount of Liverock: 30++ lbs Depth of Sandbed: 1++ inch Salinity level: 1.026
    ALK level: To Come .. Ammonia: To Come .. Nitrate: N/A Nitrite: N/A
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: To Come ..
    ATI T5HO 6 (54W ATI Blue Plus & Coral Plus) Skimmerless ... for now Bubble Magus 3 Part Auto Dosing
    Fish and Inverts: P. Grandis, Palys & Zoas, Rainbow BTA's, Favia, Aussie Duncans, Chalices, various Euphyllias, various Gonioporas & Selected Acroporas. RARE Leathers, Xenia & Soft Corals combo. Juve Purple Tang & Pygmy Angel, Picasso & Wyoming clownfish Corals: Whatever's saved from the 2013 Ice Storm

D'ya Want A Piece of Me??

Back in Being Salty ...

Studjunior is offline Registered User

Believes sushi would be better alive,
    swimming in the aquarium
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 145
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class 5000 Experience Points Social Veteran

Level

Re: Acro eating Crabs ... dangit!!!

That sucks!!! At least you got the buggers.

Set up date: April 2014 Display Size: 240 Gallons Total Water In System: 400 Gallons Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? YES Amount of Liverock: 150 LB Depth of Sandbed: 1 Salinity level: 1.025
    ALK level: 0 Ammonia: 0 Nitrate: 0 Nitrite: 0
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: 0
    AI Prime HD * 4 36' 2 - bulb T5 *4 Reef Octopus Regal 220 INT No
    Fish and Inverts: 2 * Grade A Picasso Clownfish, Blue Tang, Yellow Tang, Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Royal Gramma * 2, Golden Rhomboid wrasse, Lineatus Wrasse Corals: RBTA, frogspawn, 1 SPS
    Other Equipment: UV Sterilizer GFO reactor Other Information: New 240g build http://www.aquariumpros.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=47533

Achievements:

Level
    Threadstarter

Their shells are as hard as anything!!! I tried stabbing the big crab and all he/she does is round around circling around the acros . Making me look a like a Fool!!

Set up date: August 2004 Display Size: 90 Gallon Total Water In System: 90 gallons Do you have a sump? NO
    Do you have a refugium? NO Amount of Liverock: 30++ lbs Depth of Sandbed: 1++ inch Salinity level: 1.026
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: To Come ..
    ATI T5HO 6 (54W ATI Blue Plus & Coral Plus) Skimmerless ... for now Bubble Magus 3 Part Auto Dosing
    Fish and Inverts: P. Grandis, Palys & Zoas, Rainbow BTA's, Favia, Aussie Duncans, Chalices, various Euphyllias, various Gonioporas & Selected Acroporas. RARE Leathers, Xenia & Soft Corals combo. Juve Purple Tang & Pygmy Angel, Picasso & Wyoming clownfish Corals: Whatever's saved from the 2013 Ice Storm

Back in Being Salty ...

swimming in the aquarium
    Achievements:

Level

I know the feeling. I went through that when i first started trying to take out a crab. After the fact though I found out it was a good one... OOPS...

Set up date: April 2014 Display Size: 240 Gallons Total Water In System: 400 Gallons Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? YES Amount of Liverock: 150 LB Depth of Sandbed: 1 Salinity level: 1.025
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: 0
    Fish and Inverts: 2 * Grade A Picasso Clownfish, Blue Tang, Yellow Tang, Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Royal Gramma * 2, Golden Rhomboid wrasse, Lineatus Wrasse Corals: RBTA, frogspawn, 1 SPS
    Other Equipment: UV Sterilizer GFO reactor Other Information: New 240g build http://www.aquariumpros.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=47533

Achievements:

Level
    Threadstarter

There are a number of small crabs that spend their lives in pairs, nestled between the branches of stony corals. Those in the genus Tetralia are most often found in Acropora colonies, while those of the genus Trapezia are most often found in Pocillopora colonies, and both are sometimes imported with these corals. So, you may get one unintentionally when you buy one of these corals, but most are nothing to worry about and are interesting and often colorful, too. While they are carnivores that will eat small meaty bits, they're thought to dine on the mucus produced by the corals that they live in too, but are commensal creatures that don't do any actual harm to the corals.

Courtesy of AdvancedAquarist.com

Trapezia
    sp.

Tetralia nigrolineata
    Attached Images Attached Images

Back in Being Salty ...

swimming in the aquarium
    Achievements:

Level

Cool info. Thanks!!

Achievements:

Level
    Threadstarter

Only nice acro or decorator crabs (Pom-Pom, Porcelain) that don't eat away our corals .... I like the
    Gaudy Clown Crab (Platypodiella spectabilis) although I have some doubt about it's "black" tipped claws!

Back in Being Salty ...

Achievements:

Level
    Threadstarter

Last night saw an escaped Gorilla crab & unfortunately I'd accidentally "stabbed" it.

Back in Being Salty ...

Thread Information