.::AquariumPros.ca::. - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Fish4life28 is offline Registered User

Tank is cycling. Can I buy a Moorish Idol yet?
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Created Album pictures 1 year registered Social

Level

New setup in the making

So after my entire life of freshwater husbandry I am delving into marine. Very much excited and somewhat obsessed with it all. I am setting up my 75 gallon as my dt. I'm going with a slow setup as it is very much fund consuming. So far my tank is running with a constant salinity of 1.022 I have been keeping a close eye on it topping up when required. There are 2 hydor 1050's running in there about 60 lbs of sand 40 of it live. I have my old penguin 350 bio wheel running with filter foam mainly for more circulation and larger particle straining. This past weekend I got some base rock from a sponsor of this site which is very very porous and looks great. I only put about 20 lbs of it in for now and seeded it wih 7 lbs of some nice indo live rock. Starting slow as I said. I am building my own sump system out of a 40 gal tank. It's goin to have 4 chambers baffled into it, my plastic guy is making the pieces up for me today. I am going to run rock rubble in my intake chamber with a filter sock, next will be a marine land 150 skimmer then on too the fuge where it will meet some algae and sand then off to the return chamber. I will be putting the sump together this week and hopefully in the next 2 I will have my skimmer and return pump and plumb it all together. Over the next month or so more rock will be added and seeded to bring up my rock to water volume ratio. Anyways this is my plans towards my new salty beginnings. Any comments or direction is very much welcomed. Thanks for reading, will post some along the way pictures soon

---------- Post added April 9th, 2012 at 01:38 PM ----------

Also when it's all setup I will be adding an ato system built from an external misting pump I have from a chameleon setup I no longer use paired with either an eye type switch or double float switches

Set up date: April 2012 Display Size: 120 short Total Water In System: 145 Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? NO Amount of Liverock: 160 Depth of Sandbed: 1 inch oolitic Salinity level: 1.026
    ALK level: 8 hanna Ammonia: 0 Nitrate: 0 Nitrite: 0
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: 418
    Ati sp 6 bulb. 4 blue 1 coral+ and 1 Fiji purple Vertex alpha 170 No
    Fish and Inverts: 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 emerald crab, 15 hermits, 6 trochus snails, 2 percs, coral beauty, splendid dotty back,10+ nassarius, 3 tiger nassarius.melanarous wrasse, powder blue tang, Corals: Red monti cap,red digi, purple digi,,tri colour acro,sunset millipora, blue millipora, bird of paradise, green slimer, pink poccolipora, purple bonsai, utc bonsai, reverse poker star monti,Cali tort, rainbow monti,red planet,frogspawn, acan, ricordia, Yuma,pulsing Xenia ( currently being evicted for bad behaviour) lol
    Other Equipment: hydor 1050, tunez osmolator ATo, spectra pure rodi 90 gpd. Phosban reactor, Neptune apex lab grade probes vortech mp40w, , mag 9 return , ghl 4 pump doser for cal and alk, tunze wavebox Other Information: 120 gallon 4 by 2 by 2 miracles tank. External overflow. 40 gallon breeder sump. Ati sunpower 6 bulb. 4 bp, 1 figi purple, 1 coral light. Vetex alpha 170 Carbon passive Mag9.5 return split to dual lockline

Jewel is offline Registered User

Tangs don't belong in an aquarium
    ........except mine.
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 369
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social Recommendation Second Class Veteran Tagger First Class 10000 Experience Points

Level

Re: New setup in the making

Congrats, Salt is where its at .Much more of a challenge, though more regrets. So much to learn and understand, everything takes time, patience and money and lots of it all, there are large systems, small ones, LED lights, softies , SPS , SSB , All the terminology and all the differents views of what's the best way to go about it. I've been at it awhile, many set ups, And another on the way. Read keep reading and remember nothing happens quickly in this great hobby, Have fun and ask questions, There are lots of knowledgable people here that want to help, And we've made tons of mistakes that's how we learned. Youy've got a good start, A nice size tank, have fun and welcome to saltwater.

Set up date: August 2013 Display Size: 70 Total Water In System: 90 Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? YES Amount of Liverock: 100 Depth of Sandbed: 1 Salinity level: 34
    ALK level: 9 DKH Ammonia: 0 Nitrate: 0 Nitrite: 0
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: 420
    Maxspect Razor 16k 27" upgraded Lenses Bubble King Mini 160 no
    Fish and Inverts: Fox Face,Flame Angel,Wheelers Goby.Sand Goby,Watchman Goby,3xBlue Streaked Cardinals,2xB&W Clowns,Coral Beauty,4 Mexican Turbos, 10 Nirites, 10 Nassarious,Black Serpant Star Corals: Hammer, Frogspawn, Grn Cap, Grn Candy Cane,Grn Bird Nest, Purple Ricordia,Purple Digitata, Acans,War Coral,Chalice,Neon GRN Candy Cane,Red Blastamusa,Red Brain,Grn Brain,Maxima Clam,Yellow leather ToadStool,Zoas,grn Dragon,
    Other Equipment: Vertex Purist RO/DI, 200 watt Heater,MP40WES w/ Battery Back up, Bio-Pellet Reactor, GFO/Carbon Reactor, ATOreef Brite LED strip,3/4 Sea Swirl,Jeboa DC3000 Return,WP25,
    70 GL 40x20x20 Starphire, Rimless, Corner Overflow,
    Custom Steel Stand with Maple Skirt
    38 GL Salines Solution Acrylic Sump w/Refugium
    Maxspect Razor 27" 16k w/ Upgraded Lenses/ Reef Brite 50/50 for Fuge
    SWC160 WP25,MP40WES W/Battery Back up
    2x100 Heaters,Jebao 3000 DC Return via a 3/4 Sea Swirl w/Dual Nozzle
    Gravity Fed ATO- Back to Basics
    100LBS Mixed Live Rock
    1 inch Reef Floor Argonite,Dosing 2 Part Nightly, Coral Snow 3x per week
    LPS Dominated Tank,Maxima Clam,GRN Bird nest
    Vertex 100 RODI, Reef Keeper controller
    GFO/Carbon Reactor
    Fox Face, Wheelers Goby, Sand Goby,Yellow Tang, 4 Turbos, 10 Nassarious, 1 Nirite,Black Legged Serpent

J_T is offline Registered User

Has child with the middle name Acropora
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 398
    Achievements:
    Veteran Tagger First Class 10000 Experience Points Recommendation Second Class

Level

Before you get to far into this. The 75 gallon tank, has that been a fresh water tank? Did you ever medicate the tank? If so, check that the med's didn't have copper in them. If so, you could be in for a rocky road right from the start!

I am sure that you have noticed the tank is one of the cheaper pieces of equipment you will need for a saltwater setup. Hate to see it be the cause of problems later on!

Set up date: September 2011 Display Size: 155 gallon Total Water In System: 180 ish Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? YES Amount of Liverock: 300+ (total system) Mixed Depth of Sandbed: 6" Salinity level: 0
    ALK level: 8.5 Ammonia: NA Nitrate: NA Nitrite: NA
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: 420
    4x 24" T5HO + 400 PFO halide 15K bulb (temp, this will be swapped for an electric ballast) Skimz SM121 not yet
    Fish and Inverts: Niger Trigger, Pair of Nemo's, Bangaii cardinal, Royal Gramma Corals: Neon candy cane, Frogspawn, Blueberry Gorg (FAL)
    Other Equipment: BRS reactor for carbon and GFO. Other Information: Koralia 4' MJ1200 mod kit Ro/DI unit
    125 build thread (taken down May 2011)
    Thread

The big Diamond
    Build thread

We could learn a lot from crayons... Some are sharp, some are pretty and
    some are dull. Some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they
    all have to live in the same box.

Achievements:

Level
    Threadstarter

Yes it was used for African cichlids was a very very healthy system with a ton of breeding and over 12 types of fish. It was never medicated with anything just freshwater

Set up date: April 2012 Display Size: 120 short Total Water In System: 145 Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? NO Amount of Liverock: 160 Depth of Sandbed: 1 inch oolitic Salinity level: 1.026
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: 418
    Fish and Inverts: 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 emerald crab, 15 hermits, 6 trochus snails, 2 percs, coral beauty, splendid dotty back,10+ nassarius, 3 tiger nassarius.melanarous wrasse, powder blue tang, Corals: Red monti cap,red digi, purple digi,,tri colour acro,sunset millipora, blue millipora, bird of paradise, green slimer, pink poccolipora, purple bonsai, utc bonsai, reverse poker star monti,Cali tort, rainbow monti,red planet,frogspawn, acan, ricordia, Yuma,pulsing Xenia ( currently being evicted for bad behaviour) lol
    Other Equipment: hydor 1050, tunez osmolator ATo, spectra pure rodi 90 gpd. Phosban reactor, Neptune apex lab grade probes vortech mp40w, , mag 9 return , ghl 4 pump doser for cal and alk, tunze wavebox Other Information: 120 gallon 4 by 2 by 2 miracles tank. External overflow. 40 gallon breeder sump. Ati sunpower 6 bulb. 4 bp, 1 figi purple, 1 coral light. Vetex alpha 170 Carbon passive Mag9.5 return split to dual lockline

J_T is offline Registered User

Has child with the middle name Acropora
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 398
    Achievements:
    Veteran Tagger First Class 10000 Experience Points Recommendation Second Class

Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fish4life28 View Post
    Yes it was used for African cichlids was a very very healthy system with a ton of breeding and over 12 types of fish. It was never medicated with anything just freshwater
    Good to go then!

Set up date: September 2011 Display Size: 155 gallon Total Water In System: 180 ish Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? YES Amount of Liverock: 300+ (total system) Mixed Depth of Sandbed: 6" Salinity level: 0
    ALK level: 8.5 Ammonia: NA Nitrate: NA Nitrite: NA
    4x 24" T5HO + 400 PFO halide 15K bulb (temp, this will be swapped for an electric ballast) Skimz SM121 not yet
    Fish and Inverts: Niger Trigger, Pair of Nemo's, Bangaii cardinal, Royal Gramma Corals: Neon candy cane, Frogspawn, Blueberry Gorg (FAL)
    Other Equipment: BRS reactor for carbon and GFO. Other Information: Koralia 4' MJ1200 mod kit Ro/DI unit
    125 build thread (taken down May 2011)
    Thread

The big Diamond
    Build thread

We could learn a lot from crayons... Some are sharp, some are pretty and
    some are dull. Some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they
    all have to live in the same box.

chrisstevens is offline Registered User

Just recently rented "Finding Nemo"
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Veteran

Level

Any pics?

Set up date: April 2011 Display Size: 30 Total Water In System: 40 Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? NO Amount of Liverock: 40 Depth of Sandbed: 2 Salinity level: 1.024
    ALK level: 12 Ammonia: 0 Nitrate: 5 Nitrite: 0
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: 450
    t5- 4 bulb aqua C erchin no
    Fish and Inverts: glod stripe maroon clown, True percula clown, sailfin tang, 2 yellow tail damsels, pink spot goby, 2 cleaner shrimp, porcelain crab,sand sifting starfish,hermit crabs, snails Corals: lps,sps,soft
    Other Equipment: stuff

DbleG is offline Self Proclaimed Guru

Has scars from MH burns and
    recent tang attack
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 392
    Achievements:
    Social Veteran Tagger First Class Recommendation Second Class 10000 Experience Points

Level

Some advice from a guy who has been around a little bit would be this:
    Get ALL your rock in all at once and then let it seed/cycle itself so you aren't prolonging it or causing cycle 'hiccups' in ammonia/nitrite/nitrate.
    Trust me, the initial wait isn't a short one, so getting all your rock in now is the best plan. By slowly adding rock you are keeping your system unstable for a longer period. Since you have no livestock it's your call, but my advice is to get it all going and seeded together.
    If you can bump up your Salinity to 1.025 before you add livestock this is also going to benefit you in the long run, for many reasons (invert health, more balanced chemical levels, adjustment from the wild for your fish and corals)

Welcome to the big show btw

I don't have a tank yet

Come join the new Durham Reef Club!

jkoot is offline Registered User

What's all that brown stuff?
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Created Album pictures 1000 Experience Points Overdrive 1 year registered

Level

Have you purchased the marineland skimmer yet? Or are you still planning too? If I could make a suggestion; see if you can grab a vertex in100 instead...much better skimmer and it will more of the icky stuff than the 150. I have the marineland 300 in my sump (sump was designed for it) but I got my tank used with it.....it does the job but for the money or just a bit more, there are better skimmers.

I would be rockin a vertex if my sump had the space to fit it.

Just food for thought, and looking forward to following your build!

>jason

Set up date: August 2011 Display Size: 90G | 48x18x24 Total Water In System: 110G System Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? NO Amount of Liverock: 120lbs korallenwelt ceramic (dry weight) & 20lbs fiji Depth of Sandbed: 3-4 inches Salinity level: 1.026
    ALK level: Not Tested Ammonia: 0 Nitrate: 0 Nitrite: 0
    Sun System Tek Light 6 Bulb with Reef Brite XHO (actinic) Marineland 300 No
    Fish and Inverts: 1x Powder Blue Tang; 1x Ocellaris Clown; 5x Blue/Green Chromis; 1x Orange Spotted Sleeper Goby; 1x Yellow Watchman Goby 28x Trochus Snails; 5x Astrea Snails; 6x Turbo Snails; 34x Nassarius Snails; 3x Emerald Crabs; 1x Porcelain Crab; 1x Serpent Stars; 1x Brittle Stars; 3x Blue Leg Hermits; 3x Scarlett Leg Hermits; Corals: Ultra Flame Bubble Tip Anemone; x2 Red Bubble Tip Anemone; Purple/Green Hybrid Frogspawn; Kryptonite Torch; Montipora: Green, Red, Rainbow, Superman; Aussie War Coral; Neon Green Favia; Pink/Teal Symphyllia; Acans: Fiji & Aussie; Chalice: Pink Frag, Purple Colony; 3x Baby Dome Plate Coral; Orange Florida Ricordia Polyps; Mushrooms: Blue, Green, Superman; Various Coloured Zoa Polyps and Palys (Red, Orange, Green, Yellow, Green, Cream and various colour combinations; mostly all fiji).
    Other Equipment: - Vertex UF15 media reactor running Vertex Biopellets. - Vertex Puratek 100GPD RODI system with booster pump plumbed into system ATO and a 50 gallon drum in basement for making water. - Marineland Model 2 Sump (modified) - No Biowheel - 50G drum has two power heads, 300w heater and thermoter with tap.

Achievements:

Level
    Threadstarter

Not sure how this post made it to the top of the page, it's almost a month old. A lot has changed since then. Was very iffy on running a hob overflow so scrapped that idea. My changes have been updated in my tank info section. And I did change my mind on the marineland skimmer. Going with the deltec mce 600 now. All my rock is in and my levels of ammonia and nitrite are 0. Very small amounts of nitrates, am very diligent with my water changes. Changing out 10 gallons once aweek and 25 gallons also once a week on different days. As for pics I have a couple on a different thread under getting started. There is life in the tank besides Rick now and all are very happy and healthy. Shrimp has molted once already, goby is super busy doing his thing and hermits and snails are very busy too

DbleG is offline Self Proclaimed Guru

Has scars from MH burns and
    recent tang attack
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 392
    Achievements:
    Social Veteran Tagger First Class Recommendation Second Class 10000 Experience Points

Level

How long ago did you add your livestock?

Also, your tank info says you have a 75 gal, yet total water in system says 45. I'm assuming since you scrapped the HOB overflow and picked up the caddy of HOB skimmers you've decided to go sumpless?
    BTW - as each thread gets responded to, it gets moved to the top.

I don't have a tank yet

Come join the new Durham Reef Club!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information