Rufus2008 is offline Registered User

Just recently rented "Finding Nemo"
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 500 Experience Points

Level

Question 30 gallon refugium possibilities

Ok now I'm thinking I should try a fuge . My problem is I don't have a sump . So I'd have to set it up beside the display and use pumps to move the water. Would I need 2 pumps, one for supply and one for return? Also could I set my skimmer up in there to get it out of the display?

Set up date: July 2008 Display Size: 108 gallon Total Water In System: 108 Do you have a sump? NO
    Do you have a refugium? NO Amount of Liverock: 100lbs Depth of Sandbed: 2 inches Salinity level: 1.023
    ALK level: 8dkh Ammonia: 0ppm Nitrate: 0ppm Nitrite: 0ppm
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: 440ppm
    4x30watt 6500k led floodlights and 2x10watt color changing led floodlights Deltec mce600 no
    Fish and Inverts: Powder brown tang, 1 coral banded shrimp, 1 purple reef lobster, 2 mexican turbo snails, 6 green chromis, niger trigger, marroon clown, 3x yellow tail damsels, magenta pseudochromis, lawnmower benny, urchin, african angel, lamarck angel, 2 bubble tip anemones Corals: Finger leather, kenya tree, torch coral, frogspawn, assorted mushrooms lp
    Other Equipment: Medium aquaripure nitrate filter, 3koralia 1050 powerheads

Petercar is offline Registered User

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered

Level

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus2008 View Post
    Ok now I'm thinking I should try a fuge . My problem is I don't have a sump . So I'd have to set it up beside the display and use pumps to move the water. Would I need 2 pumps, one for supply and one for return? Also could I set my skimmer up in there to get it out of the display?
    You'd need a way to get water out of the display Like drill holes or a HOB overflow ..and let gravity draw it to the sump . Just one pump for the return ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Set up date: January 2011 Display Size: 55 gal 30x18x24 Total Water In System: 75gal Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? NO Amount of Liverock: 40 lbs fuji rock Depth of Sandbed: 3 inch fine sand Salinity level: 1.026
    ALK level: 171 Ammonia: 0.0 Nitrate: 20.0 Nitrite: 0.0
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: 494
    Aquaticlife 24 inch t5 4 bulb Swc 150 No
    Fish and Inverts: 2x tomato clowns. 1x sailfin 1x blue damsel Corals: Purple torch Duncan's zoos anemones
    Other Equipment: 2 koraalias power heads with hydro smart wave controller

J_T is offline Registered User

Has child with the middle name Acropora
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 398
    Achievements:
    Veteran Tagger First Class 10000 Experience Points Recommendation Second Class

Level

Re: 30 gallon refugium possibilities

One pump! Two is a flood waiting to happen.

You can have a "sump" above the tank. You need a pump in the tank (I would build a surface skimmer to send the "dirtiest" water to the skimmer and fuge . Let gravity return the water. The sump would look like a mini display. Over flow box, to keep cheato, and such from clogging the drain, feeding the tank.

I would invest in a float switch. Put it in the above tank sump . If the water level gets too high, have it turn off the supply pump.

If you have room to do this sort of setup, you will find that maintaining your tank will become so much easier! You will have room for a decent in sump skimmer. And for the cost of a decent HOB skimmer, you can save money with an in sump model. Lots of skimmers show up in the classifides here.

There are also many types of algae, and the refugium can be made to look nice. Not just a ball of green algae rolling around.

Set up date: September 2011 Display Size: 155 gallon Total Water In System: 180 ish Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? YES Amount of Liverock: 300+ (total system) Mixed Depth of Sandbed: 6" Salinity level: 0
    ALK level: 8.5 Ammonia: NA Nitrate: NA Nitrite: NA
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: 420
    4x 24" T5HO + 400 PFO halide 15K bulb (temp, this will be swapped for an electric ballast) Skimz SM121 not yet
    Fish and Inverts: Niger Trigger, Pair of Nemo's, Bangaii cardinal, Royal Gramma Corals: Neon candy cane, Frogspawn, Blueberry Gorg (FAL)
    Other Equipment: BRS reactor for carbon and GFO. Other Information: Koralia 4' MJ1200 mod kit Ro/DI unit
    125 build thread (taken down May 2011)
    Thread

The big Diamond
    Build thread

We could learn a lot from crayons... Some are sharp, some are pretty and
    some are dull. Some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they
    all have to live in the same box.

Achievements:

Level
    Threadstarter

I wish you guys lived close by! The overflow and matching pump speed is one reason I didn't put a sump in. scared to flood my house.

Set up date: July 2008 Display Size: 108 gallon Total Water In System: 108 Do you have a sump? NO
    Do you have a refugium? NO Amount of Liverock: 100lbs Depth of Sandbed: 2 inches Salinity level: 1.023
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: 440ppm
    4x30watt 6500k led floodlights and 2x10watt color changing led floodlights Deltec mce600 no
    Fish and Inverts: Powder brown tang, 1 coral banded shrimp, 1 purple reef lobster, 2 mexican turbo snails, 6 green chromis, niger trigger, marroon clown, 3x yellow tail damsels, magenta pseudochromis, lawnmower benny, urchin, african angel, lamarck angel, 2 bubble tip anemones Corals: Finger leather, kenya tree, torch coral, frogspawn, assorted mushrooms lp

liz is offline someone stop me!!

Has child with the middle name Acropora
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Social Your first Group Created Album pictures Veteran Recommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Financial Contributor Calendar Award Arm of Law

Level

Why can't you put a sump and refugium under the tank? Is the tank on a stand? If not, might be worth building one?

Set up date: September 2013 Display Size: 60 gl cube Total Water In System: 60 Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? NO Amount of Liverock: 53 Depth of Sandbed: 1" Salinity level: 1.026
    ALK level: 8.4 Ammonia: 0 ppm Nitrate: 0ppm Nitrite: 0 ppm
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: 450
    Maxspect Razor 120 16k LED Octopus 1000 cone No
    Fish and Inverts: Snails, 1 Fairy wrasse, 3 Chromis, 1 Royal gramma. Corals: SPS; LPS.
    Other Equipment: BRS 5 stage RO/DI, MP10w ES, WP25, ATO.com, Nitra-Guard 500ml - bomb method, using I/O RC salt, 0.00 phosphates-Hanna, potassium 400- Salifert. Other Information: Previous systems: 2 x 150gl customs (NAFB), a 29gl biocube, a 47 gl custom (Miracles), a 75gl standard, 34gl AIO Solana, now 60gl cube.

Achievements:

Level
    Threadstarter

Me and the hubby custom made the stand. Its made out of 4x4 posts and 2x6 board faced with oak. We made it very strong as we've had spills in the past. But we built it solid and closed in so I can't access underneath the tank.

Petercar is offline Registered User

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered

Level

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus2008 View Post
    Me and the hubby custom made the stand. Its made out of 4x4 posts and 2x6 board faced with oak. We made it very strong as we've had spills in the past. But we built it solid and closed in so I can't access underneath the tank.
    What I did ..I couldn't drill my tank ..so I got a CPR HOB overflow. And I couldn't get a tank under my stand. So I got a small tank with baffles. And I got my skimmer in one side. ..so I got some Steel plant stand and put the sump on floor beside the display tank stand and the gravity from overflow feeds my sump and the pump is in the sump for return

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Set up date: January 2011 Display Size: 55 gal 30x18x24 Total Water In System: 75gal Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? NO Amount of Liverock: 40 lbs fuji rock Depth of Sandbed: 3 inch fine sand Salinity level: 1.026
    ALK level: 171 Ammonia: 0.0 Nitrate: 20.0 Nitrite: 0.0
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: 494
    Aquaticlife 24 inch t5 4 bulb Swc 150 No
    Fish and Inverts: 2x tomato clowns. 1x sailfin 1x blue damsel Corals: Purple torch Duncan's zoos anemones
    Other Equipment: 2 koraalias power heads with hydro smart wave controller

Achievements:

Level
    Threadstarter

That's what I would have to do. But instead of the full sump , just do the refugium , because this is in my living room and a sump out in the open wouldn't be too nice to look at. So how do I go about picking out an appropriate sized overflow (I'll need slow flow for a refugium correct)? And how do you match pump flow to your overflow? And remember drilling my tank is not an option. Where is the best place (cheapest) for the overflow. Would I be able to use an aquaclear 110 pump for return with a ball valve to turn flow down? This part of it always confuses me

Thread Information