recent tang attack
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran Tagger First Class 5000 Experience Points

Level

Carpet anemone sucked into powerhead - help

Folks,

My carpet anemone just got sucked into the powerhead - maxi jet 1200. I believe it has happened over last 2 hours. Please look at the pics.

I disconnected the strainer from the powerhead. It's body tenticles is all inside. I don't know whether I should try to pull it out or just leave it and maybe he'll be able to pull out himself.

Any advice??? comments???? I hope he'll make it!!

Long story made short. He was on the bottom of the tank for 3 months and was growing like crazy. Week ago a snail died under it and it moved away. Yesterday he was still long ways away from the powerhead, but when i got home i noticed he's stuck in the powerhead....

What should i do now???

Daniel.
    Last edited by szymek; September 15th, 2008 at 07:40 PM.

Set up date: March 2008 Display Size: 120gal - *sold* Total Water In System: 140 Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? YES Amount of Liverock: ~165 lbs mostly Fiji Depth of Sandbed: 1.5 inches Salinity level: 1.025
    ALK level: 9 Ammonia: 0 Nitrate: <5 Nitrite: 0
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: 440
    Modded Current USA Outter Orbit - 2x250MH 4x54wT5 Bubble King Mini 180 no
    Fish and Inverts: 1 x Blue Tang, Yellow Tang, Marine Betta, 2x Cardinals, Copperband, Blonde Naso, 2xclowns, Yellow Wrasse, 2x Blue Tuxedo Urchins, Blue Sea Star; Cleanup Crew (snails only): Turbos, Ceriths, Astria, Nassarius Corals: Mixed Reef in recovery process: couple of LPS, Leathers (Sarcophyton sp. and Nepthea); Carpet Anemone
    Other Equipment: 2xMP40W with battery backup, 2x Phosban Reactor - running phosphate remover GFO and carbon (BD) inline, return pump - BLUELINE 40 HD-X, RO/DI SpectraPure - 4 Stage, PinPoint PH monitors, Tunze ATO, Neptune controller Other Information: Sump 39x16.5x16, bi-weekly 18 gal water changes, BRS 2 part - approx 100 ml daily in am

szymek is offline WGMS

Has scars from MH burns and
    recent tang attack
    Achievements:

Level
    Threadstarter

Re: Carept sucked into powerhead - help

I was rushing and forgot to attach pics.... Here are the pics.. please have a look and let me know what I should do.

Daniel
    Attached Images Attached Images

Set up date: March 2008 Display Size: 120gal - *sold* Total Water In System: 140 Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? YES Amount of Liverock: ~165 lbs mostly Fiji Depth of Sandbed: 1.5 inches Salinity level: 1.025
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: 440
    Fish and Inverts: 1 x Blue Tang, Yellow Tang, Marine Betta, 2x Cardinals, Copperband, Blonde Naso, 2xclowns, Yellow Wrasse, 2x Blue Tuxedo Urchins, Blue Sea Star; Cleanup Crew (snails only): Turbos, Ceriths, Astria, Nassarius Corals: Mixed Reef in recovery process: couple of LPS, Leathers (Sarcophyton sp. and Nepthea); Carpet Anemone
    Other Equipment: 2xMP40W with battery backup, 2x Phosban Reactor - running phosphate remover GFO and carbon (BD) inline, return pump - BLUELINE 40 HD-X, RO/DI SpectraPure - 4 Stage, PinPoint PH monitors, Tunze ATO, Neptune controller Other Information: Sump 39x16.5x16, bi-weekly 18 gal water changes, BRS 2 part - approx 100 ml daily in am

frankthetank is offline who gots the reef?

recent tang attack
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Overall activity: 1.8%
    Achievements:
    Social Veteran Tagger First Class 1000 Experience Points

Level

Re: Carpet anemone sucked into powerhead - help

There is not much you can do, but just wait it out. I will most likely live. If it's really damaged It might even split, I have heard of this happening when their Anemone got sucked in. Yours doesn't look so bad, I think others will agree.

p.s.Make sure your skimmer is working overtime to pull out any junk from the water (blended Anemone) lol
    Last edited by frankthetank; September 15th, 2008 at 08:03 PM.

Set up date: February 2009 Display Size: 68g Total Water In System: (117g) 65g+32g+20g Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? YES Amount of Liverock: >80 Lbs of fiji throughout the system Depth of Sandbed: >5" Mixed sand. Salinity level: 1.026
    ALK level: 7 dKH Ammonia: 0.0 Nitrate: 0ppm Nitrite: 0.0
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: 420ppm
    8x 39w T5HO Retro. R2 Moonlight w/R2 controller 29.5 day cycle Vertex 100 in-sump No
    Fish and Inverts: Blue leg Hermits, Halloween Hermit, Scutus, Stomatella, Astra snails, Nassarius snails, Zebra Turbos, Black Turbos, 3 Emerald Crabs, 3 sally lightfoot crabs. 3 Cleaner Shrimp, 2 Pistol Shrimp - bullseye Shrimpgoby - Blue Spot Shrimpgoby - PinkSpotted Niger Trigger Ocellaris, Percula (B&W misbar) Falco/Spotted Hawkfish 3 Pajama Cardnals Blue Linckia Star Corals: Mostly SPS, Mixed Reef.
    Other Equipment: Fish food - New Life Spectrum, HIKARI (Mysis, Marine-S), and Ocean Nutrition (Formula one and Two flakes) + Selcon and Garlic Guard. Main pump -Mag12 (1200@0ft) Vortech MP-20 20g Refuge 32g Sump @50% full Other Information: ZEOReactor 600ml - Bak[3 drops 2x week] - Zeostart2[4 drops 2x day] - Amino acid LPS[1ml-15 drops 2x's/wk] - Amino acid[2 drops 3x's/wk] - Sponge power[1 drop a day] - Pohl's coral vitalizer[2 drops every 2 days] - Pohl's Xtra[15 drops3x's/wk.]

M007 is offline February 2008 TOTM

Tangs don't belong in an aquarium
    ........except mine.
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 205
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran Tagger First Class 10000 Experience Points Overdrive

Level

Get a bucket and siphon some of your tank water into it. Enough to fully submerge the anem and powerhead. Remove the anem and powerhead from your DT. Carefully remove what ever you can of the anem from the powerhead. Do this gently. Hopefully only some of the outer part of the anem is stuck in the powerhead and not the oral disk. After removal wash out the powerhead completely. I mean scrub it clean. Gently sway the anem in the bucket releasing any damaged tissue. GENTLY SWAY. Return the anem to the DT in an area of minimum flow. Gentle water current will help to remove any other slime and tissue. Observe your anem and make sure it is far away from any other powerhead. I have seen some people use a small plastic basket on the bottom of their DT to house anems safely. The basket allows for water circulation but keep the anem from blowing away or moving into a dangerous place. Good luck! Oh yeah, dump the bucket. Your carpet should recover. I would keep it in the basket until it appears fully recovered.

You may want to consider a powerhead like the Tunze stream models. They have a built in fish care curcuit which shuts off the pump when jammed.
    Last edited by M007; September 15th, 2008 at 08:09 PM. Reason: after thought

Set up date: April 2012 Display Size: 250 84x28x24 Total Water In System: 300 Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? NO Amount of Liverock: 160# + 200# of ceramic wall and tower Depth of Sandbed: 1-2 Salinity level: 1.025
    ALK level: 8 Ammonia: 0 Nitrate: 2.5 Nitrite: 0
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: 420
    GHL Mitras (Google it) Bubble King SuperMarin 250 No
    Fish and Inverts: Copper Banded Butterfly, Atlantic File, Tangs: Yellows, Clowns, Red Sea Sailfin, Blue Eyed Kole, Dwarf Moray, Royal Grammas, Queen Conch, Astria Snails, and 1 Pumpkin Hermit. Corals: SPS, Duncans, Gonioporas, Leathers, Nems, Euphyllias, and Zoos for colour.
    Other Equipment: Reef Octopus 7K Return Pump and Vertex 2K Mocean. Vertex 4 stage RO/DI unit. Moved by Tunze, controlled and dosed by Profilux 3. 3000ml Nitra-Guard

Dr. Zoos is offline little tank, big dreams

Nothing has died this month.
    This hobby is a piece of cake!
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 282
    Achievements:
    Social Veteran Tagger First Class 10000 Experience Points

Level

Doesnt look like the clown wants to part with it to soon

Set up date: January 2007 Display Size: 75 Total Water In System: 90 Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? YES Amount of Liverock: 130lbs Depth of Sandbed: 2" Salinity level: 1.025
    ALK level: 9.3 Ammonia: 0 Nitrate: 0 Nitrite: 0
    48" retro t5 2x 22k 2x15k ic 660 ball. bubble-magus 100 no
    Fish and Inverts: mexican turbo, astrea and margarita snails, blood shrimp, skunk cleaner, regal tang, flame angel, solar wrasse, 2xBlack and White clowns, sleeper goby, 2x clams Corals: zoa/paly, ric, yuma, blasto, xenia, leather, favia, gsp, wsp, green clove, a. lords, various sps, dendro, duncan, candy canes, chalices, devils hand leather
    Other Equipment: 75g-2x genx 3000 pumps driving 2x 3/4" scwd, 2x 250 jager heaters, Other Information: pvc internal coast to coast overflow, diy stand/canopy

Mugster is offline Chronic Reefer

Complete System For Sale
    ~ Must sell everything to afford the divorce lawyers.
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Recommendation First Class Veteran Tagger First Class 50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender Community Award Most Popular

Level

In your pic it appears the anemone is entwined in the powerhead's strainer? Is this correct? If so your best bet is to simply remove the strainer and place the anemone/strainer on the bottom of the tank and leave it alone. It will work itself out of the strainer.

Set up date: July 2005 Display Size: 235 Total Water In System: 300 +/- Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? YES Amount of Liverock: 240 lbs Depth of Sandbed: Bare bottom. Salinity level: 1.026
    ALK level: ? Ammonia: 0 Nitrate: <5 Nitrite: 0
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: 400
    Icecap 250w Eballasts; PFO Mini Pendants; Phoenix 14K DE 250w ERCS12-3 MAS CR6422PRO
    Fish and Inverts: 2 Percs, Naso Tang, Regal Tang, Green Chromis, Squamipinnis Anthias, Mandarin, Bi-Colour Blennie, Purple Firefish, Brittle Stars, Emerald Crabs, Shrimp (Cleaner, Blood, Peppermint), Snails (Nassasarius, Astrea, Turbo, Cerith) Green Bubble Tip Anemones (4) Clams, Tuxedo and Pencil Urchins Corals: Green Star Polyps, Button Polyps, Zoanthids, Ricordia, Mushrooms, Colt Coral, Kenya Tree, Various Leathers, Chocolate Blush
    Other Equipment: Tunze Turbelle Stream 6060 Tunze TS48 kit Seio 1100 2 x Mak4 return pumps 2 x 3/4" Sea Swirls MRC Kalk Stirrer DIY Coil Denitrator 1/3hp Chiller
    Tongue tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit I.

szymek is offline WGMS

recent tang attack
    Achievements:

Level
    Threadstarter

Thank you soo much for such quick responses!!!

Every since i noticed it, I've been researching what to do while I'm waiting for folks from here to respond. Some people say to gently remove it from ph but majority say to wait it out.

Mugster: Yes when I got home I noticed him sucked up the maxi jet and first thing i did I turned the ph off and disconnected the strainer. Big junk of him is inside the strainer... So i'm scared i'll just do more damage than good if i try to pull the strainer off.

The foot and mouth don't seem to be damaged. He crawled up the overflow box and he is still attached to the overflow box with the strainer in it. So if he is still attached to the overflow box, can I just leave him there? It looked really weird as when i got home the foot was attached to the overflow and was streched in opposite direction... Seems like he was trying to pull himself free.

And yes this clown is in love with this anem. When I feed the anem. clows just freaks out but won't swim away from it. lol

I really hope this fellow will make it through.

I just did a water chagne the other day so I don't have too much RO/DI water left. Should i start making more water just in case I need to make bigger water change if things go down the hill???

frankthetank is offline who gots the reef?

recent tang attack
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Overall activity: 1.8%
    Achievements:
    Social Veteran Tagger First Class 1000 Experience Points

Level

Is your skimmer pulling out more junk then normal?

Set up date: February 2009 Display Size: 68g Total Water In System: (117g) 65g+32g+20g Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? YES Amount of Liverock: >80 Lbs of fiji throughout the system Depth of Sandbed: >5" Mixed sand. Salinity level: 1.026
    ALK level: 7 dKH Ammonia: 0.0 Nitrate: 0ppm Nitrite: 0.0
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: 420ppm
    8x 39w T5HO Retro. R2 Moonlight w/R2 controller 29.5 day cycle Vertex 100 in-sump No
    Fish and Inverts: Blue leg Hermits, Halloween Hermit, Scutus, Stomatella, Astra snails, Nassarius snails, Zebra Turbos, Black Turbos, 3 Emerald Crabs, 3 sally lightfoot crabs. 3 Cleaner Shrimp, 2 Pistol Shrimp - bullseye Shrimpgoby - Blue Spot Shrimpgoby - PinkSpotted Niger Trigger Ocellaris, Percula (B&W misbar) Falco/Spotted Hawkfish 3 Pajama Cardnals Blue Linckia Star Corals: Mostly SPS, Mixed Reef.
    Other Equipment: Fish food - New Life Spectrum, HIKARI (Mysis, Marine-S), and Ocean Nutrition (Formula one and Two flakes) + Selcon and Garlic Guard. Main pump -Mag12 (1200@0ft) Vortech MP-20 20g Refuge 32g Sump @50% full Other Information: ZEOReactor 600ml - Bak[3 drops 2x week] - Zeostart2[4 drops 2x day] - Amino acid LPS[1ml-15 drops 2x's/wk] - Amino acid[2 drops 3x's/wk] - Sponge power[1 drop a day] - Pohl's coral vitalizer[2 drops every 2 days] - Pohl's Xtra[15 drops3x's/wk.]

cobs00 is offline Constantine

recent tang attack
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Achievements:
    Social Recommendation Second Class Veteran Tagger First Class 10000 Experience Points

Level

Hey bro,

First of all relax. 2nd this has hapened to me in the past. The best thing to do is what others have mentioned...WAIT IT OUT! If you try to pull him out or wiggle him free, not only will you add more stress, but you risk tearing his flesh.

Tomorrow, there is a good chance that he will work himself right out judging by your pictures.

If he does do this, try to baby him as the clowns might irritate him while he tries to heal. He most likely did rip and lose some tissue which should heal in time based on the severity.

Hope everything works out!

Set up date: January 2005 Display Size: 65 Total Water In System: 170 Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? YES Amount of Liverock: 250lbs Depth of Sandbed: 0 inches Salinity level: 1.025
    ALK level: 11 Ammonia: 0 Nitrate: 0 Nitrite: 0
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: 420
    XM 10 K ON HAMILTON BALLAST EuroReef No
    Fish and Inverts: Clown fish Cardinal 6 Line Wrasse Assorted snails and crabs Corals: Softies, Lps, Sps
    Other Equipment: Maxi-Jets Ro/DI init Wave Maker

cobs00 is offline Constantine

recent tang attack
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Achievements:
    Social Recommendation Second Class Veteran Tagger First Class 10000 Experience Points

Level

One more thing....to avoid this happening again, cover your PW head intake with foam insert. Just make sure to rinse it out weekly to avoid detrius build-up.

Set up date: January 2005 Display Size: 65 Total Water In System: 170 Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? YES Amount of Liverock: 250lbs Depth of Sandbed: 0 inches Salinity level: 1.025
    ALK level: 11 Ammonia: 0 Nitrate: 0 Nitrite: 0
    XM 10 K ON HAMILTON BALLAST EuroReef No
    Fish and Inverts: Clown fish Cardinal 6 Line Wrasse Assorted snails and crabs Corals: Softies, Lps, Sps
    Other Equipment: Maxi-Jets Ro/DI init Wave Maker

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information