beaker020 is offline Registered User

Just recently rented "Finding Nemo"
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 1.8%
    Achievements:
    Veteran Tagger Second Class 5000 Experience Points

Level

Gen-x ozone generator-Warning

The Gen-x ozone generator model GX-OZ250 from Pacific Coast Imports, also marketed under the Resun brand name, which is supposed to be adjustable form 0-250mg/hr may NOT be adjustable. (this is the generator without the built in air pump.)

I have 2 units purchased a year apart and another reefer on another board has also confirmed that the potentiometer which is supposed to adjust the output is not connected to anything. The unit runs full blast at all times.

(the 2 wires goint to the back of the pot are for the on/off switch)

If you are running this on anything but a large system and without a controller this could be very dangerous to your livestock and not very good for your health.

here is a much better pic taken by another reefer of his unit

I would like to get feedback on how many others have this same problem and to alert others who may not be aware of this problem.

I don't have a tank yet

75 gal reef + 50 gal FOWLR
    DIY aerofoamer clone skimmer
    DIY dual chamber reactor
    20 gal shared sump
    2x250w 14k halides + 1x96w actinic on reef
    2x96w 10k on FOWLR
    2 maxijet mods on alternating timers
    milwaukee pH controller
    Milwaukee ORP controller
    gen-x oxone generator

in_flight is offline Wit is educated insolence

Tangs don't belong in an aquarium
    ........except mine.
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    Social Veteran Tagger First Class 10000 Experience Points

Level

Re: Gen-x ozone generator-Warning

wow i have this ozonizer with a controller and didn't know about this problem. is pacific coast issuing a recall or repair?

Set up date: July 2009 Display Size: 240 Total Water In System: 300 Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? YES Amount of Liverock: 300 + (75 in sump) Depth of Sandbed: 1 Salinity level: 1.026
    ALK level: 8.83 Ammonia: 0 Nitrate: 20 Nitrite: 0
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: 440
    2x250W Icecap MH with 14k hamilton housed in Lumenarc reflectors. PFO H2 w/ 4' URI actinic bulbs Reeflo Orca 200 Schuran Jetstream 1
    Fish and Inverts: Sailfin Tang, Blonde Naso Tang, Foxface, Flame hawkfish, Pair of Chromis, Melanurus Wrasse, McCosker's Flashy Wrasse, Orange Spotted Goby, CUC Corals: SPS dominant with Zoos, Softies, LPS, and Clam
    Other Equipment: Dart Return pump via OM Super Squirt Tunze 6100 x 2 Tunze 6080 Phosban 150 x 2 (BRS GAC & GFO) Tunze Wavebox Tsunami AT-1 ATO AC Jr Purely H2O RO/DI Other Information: Display tank is 2 sided in-wall 72L x 32w x 24H Sump 66L x 22W x 15H
    FRAG TANK - not in use

40g breeder with 20g sump
    Schuran Jetskim 120 skimmer
    New Wave 4 bulb T5HO

Achievements:

Level
    Threadstarter

they said
    The dial should change the output. If you feel the unit is defective, and you would like to return it, I will give you a return authorization and if it is a manufacturer defect we will replace it.
    So I have to ship this thing to Oregon, prepaid, UPS (they said not to use the post office 'cause they wont deliver to their door)

you cant tell me that they are not aware of this problem by now. Grrr, it really burns me.

I don't have a tank yet

DIY dual chamber reactor
    20 gal shared sump
    2x96w 10k on FOWLR
    milwaukee pH controller
    Milwaukee ORP controller
    gen-x oxone generator

Aquadude is offline TURN SIGNAL NOT OPTIONAL!

Tangs don't belong in an aquarium
    ........except mine.
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 210
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran Tagger First Class 10000 Experience Points

Level

I'm not surprised. I've been burned before by PCI and have been outright lied to by their customer service rep. I'm interrested in following this thread to see what sort of excuses PCI comes up with for this blunder.

Set up date: January 2007 Display Size: 90 Total Water In System: 110 Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? YES Amount of Liverock: 200 Depth of Sandbed: 0 Salinity level: 1.025
    ALK level: 10 Ammonia: 0 Nitrate: 0 Nitrite: 0
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: 380
    Icecap DAS BX-1 No
    Fish and Inverts: Yellow Tang Corals: Stoney
    Other Equipment: Dosing pump
    Todd

Current Tank Conditions

TANK SPECS: 90G AGA, 35G SUMP w/Refugium
    FILTRATION: Modified DAS BX1 SKIMMER, Ultralith System, SANDER OZONIZER, live rock
    CIRCULATION: In tank: 2x ECOTECH Marine Vortech pumps & battery backup. Return pump: Eheim 1250
    LIGHTING: Dual Reeftech Pendants w/250W DE 14K Phoenix Hexarc bulbs on ICECAP e-ballasts,
    CONTROLS: Aquacontroller III ,DC8 & DC4 outlets, Aquamedic 3head Reef Doser

Ryan Mackey is offline Registered User

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 180
    Overall activity: 0.9%
    Achievements:
    Veteran 1000 Experience Points

Level

How do you measure the O3 output?

I don't have a tank yet

Long time Acropora junkie now rediscovering some of the other genera. I have lots of tanks and equipment, but learn something new every day. Nurse by vocation, LFS owner by avocation. 240 sps reef with lots of live rock, Radium MH's, 900 gallons total, 3 recirculating type skimmers.

Continental is offline Member: SG-1

What's all that brown stuff?
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Overall activity: 2.7%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation First Class Veteran Tagger Second Class 5000 Experience Points

Level

As I've said in an earlier thread about ozone , I will never put one of those in my house. The potential for something to go wrong is not worth it.

Set up date: November 2006 Display Size: 300 Total Water In System: 400/120 Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? YES Amount of Liverock: 300 Depth of Sandbed: 4 Salinity level: 1.024
    ALK level: 2 Ammonia: 0 Nitrate: 0 Nitrite: 0
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: 1
    Geisman 4 light Euro-Reef RC500 and H&S 220 Deltec
    Fish and Inverts: tangs Corals: none

300 gal.fish/reef ,90 gal.fowlr , 45 long gal. pirahna (son's w/ a 14" Black diamond), 90 gal.fowlr (son's), 38 gal, piranha tank(daughter's), 45 gal. long ,15 gal. w/ 2 small Green Puffers, 180 gal. w/4 12" caribe piranha. (Plus 4 German Shepherds, 4 Geckos) ATTENTION: ALL VISITORS MUST BRING SCUBA GEAR.

Achievements:

Level
    Threadstarter

a fellow reefer who is also fighting with this issue received this reply from pacific coast imports

You can regulate the output with an air pump adjusting the air flow + or to increase or decrease the flow of ozone . The adjuster knob on the older generators used to regulate the amount of airflow from an internal airpump which would determine the amount of ozone by the airflow adjustment. The manufacturer has since removed the airpump from the inside. If this will not work for your application then you may return it to the place you purchased it and we will authorize a credit. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.
    which basically admits that the units are bogus and the units are not adjustable. Even thought they are still advertised as adjustable on their website.

They have since offered to issue a credit to the store I bought the unit from so they can issue a credit to me. We'll see how that works out.

I don't have a tank yet

DIY dual chamber reactor
    20 gal shared sump
    2x96w 10k on FOWLR
    milwaukee pH controller
    Milwaukee ORP controller
    gen-x oxone generator

JamezC is offline Reefing Junkie!!

Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran 5000 Experience Points

Level

Wow!

Thanx for the heads-up. Definitely a company I won't be dealing with. I hate underhanded and snakelike customer service tactics. Grrr

Thanx again Buddy.

Set up date: February 2007 Display Size: 187 Total Water In System: 287 Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? YES Amount of Liverock: 350lbs Depth of Sandbed: 6.5" Salinity level: 1.024
    ALK level: 11 Ammonia: 0 Nitrate: 0 Nitrite: 0
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: 440ppm
    x3 Maxspect Razor R420R 160w LED Reef Octopus Super Reef 2000 Precision Marine Calcium Reactors RFCa4
    Fish and Inverts: x2 Perc's (mated), x1 Regal Tang (med), x1 Yellow Tang (med), Sixline Wrasse, x2 Cleaner Shrimp, x2 Blood Shrimp, -ever increasing Clean-Up Crew consisting of Nassarius, Astrea, Cerith, Nerite snails, x2 Fighting Conches, x2 Brittle Stars, x2 Serpent Stars Corals: Hammer, Octo-Brancing Frogspawn, Milli, Acro, Monti, Pocilipora, various Zoas and Palys and some misc hitch-hikers
    Other Equipment: Sequence ReeFlo Barracuda Return Pump x2 SeaSwirls (1") Sequence ReeFlo Dart Closed-Loop Oceans Motions 4-Way PurelyH2O RO/DI (4-stage) Other Information: Bought new house in '07; tore down my tank that was set-up for around 7 years. Set-up this new tank; now just creeping forward slowly; makin sure I'm doin it right.
    ...L8ter...

mordinad is offline Registered User

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level

I'd take a closer look at it. The POT is not really an on/off switch, it can function like one suppressing the voltage level low enough to turn the device off.

For PCI's reputation, test the output of the POT with a digital metre and look for the voltage to rise and fall as you turn it up n down. The POT should directly control the Ozone generator regulating power to it.

Set up date: June Still Planning Display Size: 75g Total Water In System: 160g Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? YES Amount of Liverock: 100 Depth of Sandbed: 4" Salinity level: 1.026
    ALK level: 14 Ammonia: 0 Nitrate: 20 Nitrite: 20
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: 400
    6x39 gieseman ATB Elegance Pro 200 Deltec PF501
    Fish and Inverts: Blue Tang, Pair of Black Clowns, Anthias, Mandarin Goby, Six line Wrasse, Lime Green Wrasse, 3 Chromis, serpent stars, coral banded shrimp, clams. Corals: Mix of LPS/SPS and lots of zoas

120g Starfire, H&S Skimmer, PM Kalkreactor, 2x 250W 14K PHX MH on Icecaps, 40g sump, Knop Calc reactor.

Livestock: 120lbs LR, 60lbs LS, Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Naso Tang, copperband butterfly, green chromis, true perc, tomatoe clown, mandarin, serpent stars, GBTA, RBTA, turbosnails, nassarius, cerith and some hermits

Corals: Hammer, frogspawn, red/green monti caps, sun polyps, gsp, trumpets, leather, blue/orange/pink ricordea, lots of mushrooms, various zoos

Maybe 240g in wall next year.

Check out the progress of my tank (pic intensive)
    http://mordinad.blogspot.com

Achievements:

Level
    Threadstarter

Give me some credit. I am an electronics technician and I know what I am looking at. The on/off switch is a pot with a switch mounted to the back. They were commonly used in cheap radios as an on/off and volume switch. The switch on the back is the only thing with wires going to it. But just for giggles, I measured the continuity of the switch and found it was just that; a switch with full continuity when on and open circuit when off. I also use a high voltage probe on the HVT and there was no difference in the output. Why should there be when the variable control is not connected to anything? Unless you count that low density, high resistance conductor known as air!

That and the admission from PCI that the POT used to be connected to an air pump but the manufacturer took it out pretty much clinches it. The unit is not adjustable and is fraudulently advertised as otherwise. (I question the viability of adjusting the ozone output by adjusting the air anyways. Wouldnt that just make the output more or less concentrated but still produce roughly the same amount of ozone ?)

I don't have a tank yet

DIY dual chamber reactor
    20 gal shared sump
    2x96w 10k on FOWLR
    milwaukee pH controller
    Milwaukee ORP controller
    gen-x oxone generator

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast