TOA is offline Registered User

Friends visit his/her living room
    rather than Marineland
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran Tagger First Class 5000 Experience Points

Level

Maroon clown - strange behaviour?? Digging? (inc pic of my maroon and rbta(wtr))

Hi All,

For those that have had maroon clowns is it normal for them to pick up sand/gravel in their mouths and then move it away from their anemone?

Mine seems to be trying to ??? dig an area around his anemone for some reason, its like hes trying to make the area flatter for the anemone... Ive never heard of this before though.. He also goes into the area and intentionally is stirring up the sand to move it away from the area hes trying to flatten.

Im guessing he's fine(he certainly seems to like his new home) but is this in any way significant? My Percs never do anything at all like this.

Thanks,
    Adam

Set up date: November 2011 Display Size: 90 Total Water In System: 105 Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? YES Amount of Liverock: 110 Depth of Sandbed: 2 Salinity level: 1.025
    ALK level: 143.2 Ammonia: 0 Nitrate: 0 Nitrite: 0
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: 420
    ATI Sunpower T5 6bulb Bubble King Mini 160 No
    Fish and Inverts: trochas snails, narcissus snails Corals: none yet
    Other Equipment: Vortec MP10,Koralla4,phosban Reactor

ajx22 is offline Owner/Founder
    & Administrator

Complete System For Sale
    ~ Must sell everything to afford the divorce lawyers.
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Social Recommendation First Class Veteran Overdrive Created Album pictures

Level

Re: Maroon clown - strange behaviour?? Digging? (inc pic of my maroon and rbta(wtr))

Very common!!

I got rid of my maroon for this exact reason.

Set up date: N/A Over fifteen years ago Display Size: 240G Starphire Total Water In System: ~500 Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? YES Amount of Liverock: ~750lbs (Indo/Tonga & Fiji) Depth of Sandbed: ~6" (Caribsea Oolitic) Salinity level: 1.024
    ALK level: ~11 Ammonia: 0 Nitrate: 0 Nitrite: 0
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: ~500
    x3 250W 20,000k Radium MH + x4 VHO Actinic Euro-Reef - CS12-3 AquaMedic CR5000
    Fish and Inverts: Gold Rimmed Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Regal Tang, Red-Sea Desjardini Tang, Copperband Butterfly, Yellow-Tail Blue Damsel, x2 True Percula, x2 Bangaii Cardinal, Six-Line Wrasse, Mandarin Dragonett, x6 Peppermint Shrimp, x2 Blood Shrimp, x2 Cleaner Shrimp, x2 RBTA, ~100 Assorted snails (Nassarius/Astrea/Cerith/Turbo/Nerite), x2 Fighting Conch, x2 Serpent Stars, x4 Brittle Stars, x2 Emerald Crabs, x2 Sexy Shrimp, Maroon Clown, Green Carpet Anemone, T. Maxima, Corals: Assorted SPS (acros, montis, porites, birdsnest, etc.), Assorted LPS (mostly Euphyllia spp., Alveopora, various brains, Elegance, Fox, plates, bubble), various softies (Leather, Zoas, Mushrooms, Ricordea, +++)
    Other Equipment: True 7-Stage 200GPD RO/DI w/Booster Pump & ATO system, Sequence ReeFlo Hammerhead return pump, Iwaki 40RXT feeding Carbon Reactor, Eheim 1060 feeding Calcium Reactor, AquaMedic OceanRunner 3500 feeding above-tank refugium, 2x96W 50/50 CF's over refugium, 2x110W VHO + 400W 20,000K MH over grow-out tank + assorted powerheads (MJ's, Seios, etc.) Other Information: System=240G Display/40G Refugium/120G Sump/110G Grow-Out tank - DIY ATS (Algae Turf Scrubber)

When we point you to the search feature to find your answers - remember the old Chinese Proverb:
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

• "Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell

• "The most uncommon thing is commonsense."

• "In any discussion, you can educate the ill-informed, you can make some headway amongst those with commonsense; but you can’t argue with Stupid – and you’re wasting your time if you try."

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt

mickw is offline mick

Just recently rented "Finding Nemo"
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 180
    Overall activity: 1.8%
    Achievements:
    Veteran Tagger Second Class 5000 Experience Points

Level

Re: Maroon clown - strange behaviour?? Digging? (inc pic of my maroon and rbta(wtr))

I had a couple of percs that did this. In the clownfishes book it says they are getting ready to mate.

Set up date: January 2007 Display Size: 55 Total Water In System: 55 Do you have a sump? NO
    Do you have a refugium? NO Amount of Liverock: 20 Depth of Sandbed: 0 Salinity level: later
    ALK level: dont know Ammonia: 0 Nitrate: 0 Nitrite: 0
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: dont know
    basic cheap no
    Fish and Inverts: 2 shrimp 1 cardnial 1 anthia Corals: none
    Other Equipment: hob filters Other Information: moving other tank soon
    20, 45 pounds of live rock,1 penguin 125 with bio wheel, and 1 power head,180 jebo skimmer.
    1 Lyretail Anthia
    1 Pajama Cardinal
    1 blood shrimp

20 gallon
    1 Kuda Seahorse
    3 snails

Mugster is offline Chronic Reefer

Complete System For Sale
    ~ Must sell everything to afford the divorce lawyers.
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation First Class Veteran Tagger First Class 50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender Community Award Most Popular

Level

I had a pair of each, Clarkii and Tomato clowns that did that continuously. Usually shortly after they would spawn.

Set up date: July 2005 Display Size: 235 Total Water In System: 300 +/- Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? YES Amount of Liverock: 240 lbs Depth of Sandbed: Bare bottom. Salinity level: 1.026
    ALK level: ? Ammonia: 0 Nitrate: <5 Nitrite: 0
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: 400
    Icecap 250w Eballasts; PFO Mini Pendants; Phoenix 14K DE 250w ERCS12-3 MAS CR6422PRO
    Fish and Inverts: 2 Percs, Naso Tang, Regal Tang, Green Chromis, Squamipinnis Anthias, Mandarin, Bi-Colour Blennie, Purple Firefish, Brittle Stars, Emerald Crabs, Shrimp (Cleaner, Blood, Peppermint), Snails (Nassasarius, Astrea, Turbo, Cerith) Green Bubble Tip Anemones (4) Clams, Tuxedo and Pencil Urchins Corals: Green Star Polyps, Button Polyps, Zoanthids, Ricordia, Mushrooms, Colt Coral, Kenya Tree, Various Leathers, Chocolate Blush
    Other Equipment: Tunze Turbelle Stream 6060 Tunze TS48 kit Seio 1100 2 x Mak4 return pumps 2 x 3/4" Sea Swirls MRC Kalk Stirrer DIY Coil Denitrator 1/3hp Chiller
    Tongue tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit I.

George-OC is offline New Member

Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 275
    Overall activity: 1.8%
    Achievements:
    Veteran Tagger First Class 10000 Experience Points

Level

My 3yr old Gold Stripe "Moron" clown moves the sand, rocks and corals and anything it can move to make room for it's BTA . This anemone has grown from 5-15"+ in only 6 months. The clown will take full cubes of brine from the top down to the anemone and drop it into it. For a clown- it's not so funny! hehe

Set up date: N/A 2007 Display Size: 180 Total Water In System: Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? NO Amount of Liverock: Depth of Sandbed: Salinity level:
    ALK level: Ammonia: Nitrate: Nitrite:
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level:
    Fish and Inverts: Corals:

Dman is offline Registered User

Tangs don't belong in an aquarium
    ........except mine.
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 458
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class Veteran Tagger First Class 10000 Experience Points

Level

Definately spawning behaviour. Whether they're cloose or not is another story.

I don't have a tank yet

papafish is offline Registered User

Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 0.9%
    Achievements:
    Veteran 5000 Experience Points

Level

I refer to my female Maroon as 'The Bull'. She's huge, 6" and can move whatever she wants to move. In the past 15 years, she has been cursed on many times! Just the other day, she bulled over a dozen acropora off the top of the reef into a pile on the substrate. New curse words! The male has never acted this way. Oh well, she's awesome!

Set up date: January 1999 Display Size: 400 Total Water In System: 525gal Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? YES Amount of Liverock: 800lbs. Depth of Sandbed: 3" Salinity level: 1.025
    ALK level: 10 Ammonia: 0 Nitrate: 0 Nitrite: 0
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: 425
    3X150wMH, 2X400wMH H&S no
    Fish and Inverts: Lots Corals: Lots

Tank-
    380g - 115"X38"X20" Dutch Aquarium, 2 X 400w XM 20K, 3 X 250w XM 15K, Icecap ballasts, 3 X 1w PFO moonlights, Seio 1500, Mag 3600 return w/2 SCWD & 4 spraybars, 100g sump w/ refugium & plenum (loaded with chaeto and racemosa), 2 X 65w PC act./10K(refugium), 36w PC sterilizer, 2 X 500w titanium heater, 4 X Phosban Reactor, H&S skimmer, Mag 700gph w/manifold for sterilizer and reactors

Livestock-
    800lbs. live rock, 1” aragonite substrate, 200+ mixed snails, 300+ mixed coral, Blue Linkia Starfish, 2 Cleaner Shrimp, 2 Fire Shrimp, Zanzibar Coral Banded Shrimp, Ritteri Anemone, Green Bubble Anemone, Rose Bubble Anemone, pair Cleaner Wrasse, 4 Carpenter's Fairy Wrasse, 4 Firefish, pair Flame Angelfish, pair Watanabei Angelfish, pair Maroon Clownfish, pair Solomon Island Percs, pair Royal Gramma, pair Black Cap Basslet, pair Crosshatch Triggerfish, pair Green Mandarinfish , pair Yellow Target Mandarinfish, pair Red Scooter Dragonets, pair Sixline Wrasse, pair Regal Tang, pair Palani Tang, pair Powder Blue Tang, Green Clown Goby, Yellow Clown Goby, 2 Rainfordi Goby, Diamond Goby, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Diamond Butterflyfish

Thread Information