Believes sushi would be better alive,
    swimming in the aquarium
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 1.8%
    Achievements:
    Veteran Tagger First Class 5000 Experience Points

Level

More power out of your NO lights.

Well I did a pre wire on my 03/actinic NO bulbs and ballast to check its operation, and against better judgment I decided to use my expensive bulbs for a over drive comparison.. I am glad I did as the blues show the difference in intensity better.

first the data, I am using a GE Electronic
    B340R120HP PC#80156 3 lamp rapid start ballast and 2 Philips 03/actinic 36" bulbs.

the first picture is the two light being driven normally (this was just a functional test)

the next 3 are the pics of the one bulb over driven and the other bulb normal so you get a side by side comparison

far shot

a closeup

and a end view

and finally the end cap arrangement used to over drive compared to the normal one

I only ran it for about 30 min and the over driven was a bit hotter than the other but it was hardly noticeable.

After this I went out and bought a light meter and a new multi meter so I can have #'s to show the actual gains out of doing this.

I also have to state I got the idea to try this from reefburnaby's experiments with overdriving NO bulbs.

StirCrazy
    Last edited by StirCrazy; December 15th, 2001 at 01:38 AM.

I don't have a tank yet

afss is offline Registered User

Tangs don't belong in an aquarium
    ........except mine.
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Achievements:
    Veteran Tagger First Class 10000 Experience Points

Level

Hey, its not delivery, Its DELISSIO!!!

So I assume that the brighter one is 2* ovr. Or is it more than that?

Just trying to get a visual of what mine will be like when i manage to get to the home depot to get a ballast to go 4*

Thanks
    Scott

I don't have a tank yet

StirCrazy is offline Registered User

swimming in the aquarium
    Achievements:

Level
    Threadstarter

hehe, ya the wife would kill me if she caught me doing this with out protecting our dinning room table

the brighter one is 2 over, tomorrow I will be redoing the test and recording wattage and lux and also trying 3X out put also

StirCrazy
    Last edited by StirCrazy; December 6th, 2001 at 02:08 AM.

I don't have a tank yet

afss is offline Registered User

Tangs don't belong in an aquarium
    ........except mine.
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Achievements:
    Veteran Tagger First Class 10000 Experience Points

Level

Cool

Keep us posted with more pics if you can.
    Thanks

Scott

I don't have a tank yet

swimming in the aquarium
    Achievements:

Level
    Threadstarter

Ok now that I am complete my testing for this ballast and lights here are the results. First to mention the equipment I am using again 1, GE Electronic
    B340R120HP PC#80156 3 lamp rapid start ballast and 1 Philips 03/actinic 36" bulb.

to record this info I am using a new radioshack digital auto range multimeter, and a GE light meter.

first, the test setup looks like this

I took initial reading and then again took readings after 25 minutes of the set up running and having a chance to settle out.
    here is the first test running the bulb at normal power.
    the initial current was 0.330 amps (39.6 watts)and it climbed to 0.332, (39.84 watts)not a significant change so I only recorded the start current, the ballast was cold after this test and the bulb was warm.

the light output remained constant at 13 foot candles @ 12" and 190 foot candles at the bulb surface

for the second set I used 2 sets of leads to the power side of the bulb.
    the initial current was 0.460 amps (55.2 watts) and the final current dropped to 0.455 amps (54.6 watts), the ballast was 84 degrees F and the bulb was warm (about the same as test 1).

the light output remained constant at 19 foot candles @ 12" and 320 foot candles at the bulb surface

Steve
    Last edited by StirCrazy; December 15th, 2001 at 01:44 AM.

I don't have a tank yet

swimming in the aquarium
    Achievements:

Level
    Threadstarter

for the 3x test I wired up the power endcap like this

The current rose from an initial 0.524 amps (62.88 watts) to a final of 0.549 amps (65.88 watts), the ballast rose to a temperature of 89 degrees F, and the bulb was still only warm ( I could have held my hand on it all day)

the light output also increased over the 25 minutes from a start of 23 foot candles @ 12" and 400 foot candles at the bulb surface, to 25 foot candles @ 12" and 420 foot candles at the bulb surface.

ok now the best for last.. I took a overview picture for each test and I will put them in order of the tests one on top of each other so you can see the difference.

well there is that test, I will be doing it on my 96 watt PC bulbs also to compare there out put and I am thinking I will get a 5900K daylight bulb and try it also (actinic light shows up as a lower output on normal light meters so that is why the numbers for the foot candles look low for a 30 watt bulb. I meant the numbers as a comparison factor not the actual out put of the bulb)

Steve
    Last edited by StirCrazy; December 15th, 2001 at 01:42 AM.

I don't have a tank yet

swimming in the aquarium
    Achievements:

Level
    Threadstarter

Ok out of curosity I flashed up my 36" 96 watt PC's and measured the light only on them
    my 10000K was putting out 410 foot candles @ 12"(4413 lux) and 5100 foot candles at the surface (54896 lux).

the 6500K was putting out 375 footcandles @ 12" (4036 lux)and 4600 at the surface (49514 lux).

with both bulbs running I took a measurment at 12" and I got 630 foot candle @ 12" or (6781 lux)

I am going to be taking my light meter out with me so when i stop by stores and such I willl try to get a reading off there lights.

Steve

I don't have a tank yet

canadawest is offline Registered User

swimming in the aquarium
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 103
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran Tagger Second Class 10000 Experience Points

Level

Great Job Steve, this is exactly the thing the hobby needs; factual controlled testing, rather than "I heard that...", or "Someone told me that..."

I'd be curious to see what the results are for a GE 6500K Ultra-Daylight NO tube? The $4.50 kind that I buy at Canadian Tire when I don't feel like spending the $40 right away on a URI Aquasun! I would think that a couple of the GE ballasts with 3 GE 6500K lamps would produce a lot of output, for less than $100.

Powered on my Icecap ballast they run almost as bright as the Aquasun anyway, but that is just visually comparing, not actually testing with a light meter...

Hmmm... Next time you are over for a meeting, we might have to do a little Icecap 660 experiment at my house????

Set up date: March 2000 Display Size: 72 Total Water In System: 100 Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? YES Amount of Liverock: 75-80lbs Depth of Sandbed: 2-3 inches Salinity level: 1.025
    ALK level: 10-12 dKH Ammonia: 0 Nitrate: 0 Nitrite: 0
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: 350-400
    2x250W 10K MH + 2x95W VHO Actinic Red Sea Berlin Dose Kalkwasser
    Fish and Inverts: TMI Corals: TMI

Cheers,

Andrew B.
    My Reef Tank

swimming in the aquarium
    Achievements:

Level
    Threadstarter

ya I am going to get over for a meeting after Christmas.. I am planning on doing this with a cheep daylight bulb also (36" length though) and I am going to buy another one of these ballast and use two ballast and kind of create a home made dimmer for the lights by staggering the start time of the different ballast.

Steve
    Last edited by StirCrazy; December 15th, 2001 at 01:48 AM.

I don't have a tank yet

ajx22 is offline Owner/Founder
    & Administrator

Complete System For Sale
    ~ Must sell everything to afford the divorce lawyers.
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social Recommendation First Class Veteran Overdrive Created Album pictures

Level

Lightbulb INFO!!!

...and when you two do this...PLEASE be sure to POST that info too. The more information the better!!!

Thanks all.....

Set up date: N/A Over fifteen years ago Display Size: 240G Starphire Total Water In System: ~500 Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? YES Amount of Liverock: ~750lbs (Indo/Tonga & Fiji) Depth of Sandbed: ~6" (Caribsea Oolitic) Salinity level: 1.024
    ALK level: ~11 Ammonia: 0 Nitrate: 0 Nitrite: 0
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: ~500
    x3 250W 20,000k Radium MH + x4 VHO Actinic Euro-Reef - CS12-3 AquaMedic CR5000
    Fish and Inverts: Gold Rimmed Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Regal Tang, Red-Sea Desjardini Tang, Copperband Butterfly, Yellow-Tail Blue Damsel, x2 True Percula, x2 Bangaii Cardinal, Six-Line Wrasse, Mandarin Dragonett, x6 Peppermint Shrimp, x2 Blood Shrimp, x2 Cleaner Shrimp, x2 RBTA, ~100 Assorted snails (Nassarius/Astrea/Cerith/Turbo/Nerite), x2 Fighting Conch, x2 Serpent Stars, x4 Brittle Stars, x2 Emerald Crabs, x2 Sexy Shrimp, Maroon Clown, Green Carpet Anemone, T. Maxima, Corals: Assorted SPS (acros, montis, porites, birdsnest, etc.), Assorted LPS (mostly Euphyllia spp., Alveopora, various brains, Elegance, Fox, plates, bubble), various softies (Leather, Zoas, Mushrooms, Ricordea, +++)
    Other Equipment: True 7-Stage 200GPD RO/DI w/Booster Pump & ATO system, Sequence ReeFlo Hammerhead return pump, Iwaki 40RXT feeding Carbon Reactor, Eheim 1060 feeding Calcium Reactor, AquaMedic OceanRunner 3500 feeding above-tank refugium, 2x96W 50/50 CF's over refugium, 2x110W VHO + 400W 20,000K MH over grow-out tank + assorted powerheads (MJ's, Seios, etc.) Other Information: System=240G Display/40G Refugium/120G Sump/110G Grow-Out tank - DIY ATS (Algae Turf Scrubber)

When we point you to the search feature to find your answers - remember the old Chinese Proverb:
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

• "Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell

• "The most uncommon thing is commonsense."

• "In any discussion, you can educate the ill-informed, you can make some headway amongst those with commonsense; but you can’t argue with Stupid – and you’re wasting your time if you try."

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information