.::AquariumPros.ca::. - Powered by vBulletin
    gobyguy is offline Registered User

Tank is cycling. Can I buy a Moorish Idol yet?
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Overall activity: 1.8%
    Achievements:
    Veteran Tagger First Class 5000 Experience Points

Level

Anemone sucked into powerhead

Well I bought my wife a beautiful nean green BTA last week (small one) to go along with her maroon clown and last night the BTA seemed to all of a suddon not like where he was sitting and went for a bit of a walk... I woke up this morning to my wife telling me to get up as the anemone was inside the powerhead (maxijet 400 with a strainer on it). I though well maybe he wanted to get higher in the tank (lighting not an issue) but to my surprise he was literally INSIDE the powerhead...

Needless to say I had to take the whole powerhead appart to get him out (dead of course).. Tank is a bit cloudy as it must have happened a while before I got to him so I'm in the process of mixing some saltwater and doing a 15% water change just to be on the safe side.

My question is are their any anemones that do not walk as often as apparenly the BTA 's doo that her clown would host to??

This is soo strange as it's only a maxijet 400 and the fact that his neon color was sooo rare makes it even worse.

Any help would be great.

Set up date: September 2004 Display Size: 95 Total Water In System: 110 Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? NO Amount of Liverock: 130 # of fiji and jakarta Depth of Sandbed: 2 Salinity level: 1.024
    ALK level: ? Ammonia: 0 Nitrate: 0 Nitrite: 0
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: ?
    2x175 xm's plus attinics asm g2 moded no
    Fish and Inverts: . Corals: .
    Other Equipment: . Other Information: .

TJ_Burton is offline 40G Gangsta

Has considered one less bedroom
    in favour of a larger sump
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class Veteran Tagger First Class 25000 Experience Points

Level

Other Options

Any anemone is going to move if it is not happy with where you placed it... I find carpets move less though.

I would personally just buy some LPS for the clown to host in... My maroon had hosted in many different corals. i.e. Frogspawn, octobubble, Bubble coral, Pearl Bubble, Hammer coral and a Long Tentical Plate... It also hosted in some LARGE hairy mushrooms.

Those are the only garaunteed way that the organizm your clown hosts in will not move..

And im sorry to hear about the loss can't say its never happend to me!
    Last edited by TJ_Burton; October 18th, 2004 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Forgot to add Long Tentical Plate to the list :P

Set up date: March 2008 Display Size: 40 Total Water In System: 75 Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? YES Amount of Liverock: 40lbs Tonga/Fiji Premium Depth of Sandbed: <1" Salinity level: 1.026
    ALK level: 8.4 dKH Ammonia: no reading Nitrate: <10 Nitrite: no reading
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: 450
    6xHOT5 Fixture 3x470nm 1xFiji Purple 1x10K 1x14,000K Octopus NW (Largest Model) No
    Fish and Inverts: Bangaii Cardinal Pair, Black Ocillaris, Orchid Dottyback, Spotted Manderin Dragonette, Fairy Wrasse, Green Chromis, Nassarius snails, Turbo snails, Pink cucumber. Corals: Sps, Acans/Micros, Tonga Mushrooms, Zoas, Rainbow Anemone, Mini Carpet Anemones, Giant Purple Cespit.
    Other Equipment: Kent Hi-S RO unit, Two 6" 5 Blade Cooling Fans, UPS Backup. Two SCWD units (One on main pump, one on closed loop) Other Information: Sump is 40G holding 35G of water, 27G of dedicated refugium holding approx 40lbs of rock and a 4.5" sand bed. Contains Caulerpa, Chaeto Linum, and red macro algae sp. The system is run off a 900+ Gph pressure rated return pump, and 1100 Gph+ CL
    TJ Burton

Achievements:

Level
    Threadstarter

thanks TJ Burton... I will probably get her a frog spawn and a bubble coral and put those in her tank this week and see what happens...

Set up date: September 2004 Display Size: 95 Total Water In System: 110 Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? NO Amount of Liverock: 130 # of fiji and jakarta Depth of Sandbed: 2 Salinity level: 1.024
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: ?

simoncoul is offline Student Reefer

Can seriously discuss consistency of skimmate
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 130
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran Tagger First Class 10000 Experience Points

Level

Are you sure the anemone was dead my anemone got sucked into my powerhead and caused the water to be all cloudy I just unpluged the powerhead and let it sit in the tank for a couple days and it slowly came out it was almost completly bleach and all it's tentices got torn off, but since then it was coloured up more then it was before and grown back all it's tenticles.

Also once and anenome finds a spot it will not move unless you change something around it like lighting or flow.

Set up date: October 2003 Display Size: 50g Total Water In System: 20g Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? YES Amount of Liverock: 45 Depth of Sandbed: 1 Salinity level: 35ppm
    ALK level: ? Ammonia: ? Nitrate: ? Nitrite: ?
    Tek T5 Lighting DAS BX1 no
    Fish and Inverts: Clown, Damsels Corals: Mushrooms, Zoos

50g Centre Drilled Overflow, 20g Long Sump/Fuge, Mag7 Return On SCWD, 4x39w Tek T5 Retro, DAS BX-1 Skimmer, DIY moonlight.

Achievements:

Level
    Threadstarter

It was definatly dead or would have been for sure... al it's tentacles were all over the tank and so was half of it'd body all torn up... I stil cant beleive a maxijet 400 ! could do something like that.

Simoncoul glad to hear yours was fine though.

Thread Information