jjk is offline Registered User

Can seriously discuss consistency of skimmate
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 337
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First Class Veteran 10000 Experience Points

Level

Re: fishes to avoid for newbies

Evansi anthias are one of the less hardy types. They are prone to flukes, require frequent feedings, and often die after a few months for un-explained reasons. I know of a few experienced reef keepers who have kept them for long periods of time, but not many are able to do so. Unfortunate, since they are beautiful fish.
    To contrast, lyretail anthias are bigger, do better on less frequent feedings, and tend to last much longer in standard tanks. I've kept my own lyretail anthias for 2 years now.

Set up date: April 2009 Display Size: 90 Total Water In System: 120g Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? YES Amount of Liverock: 140 lb Fiji liverock Depth of Sandbed: 0.5" aragonite Salinity level: 1.026
    ALK level: 7.0 Ammonia: 0 Nitrate: 0 Nitrite: 0
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: 400
    4x54W ATI sunpower, custom BuildmyLED actinic strip, Reefbrite Blue strip Sea Side Aquatics CS2 No (dosing 2 part)
    Fish and Inverts: Fish: 2x ocellaris clowns, 1x yellow tang, 1x blue tang, 1x flame angel, 1x royal gramma, 1x diadema dottyback, 1x lyretail anthias, 1x mandarin, 1x damsel Corals: acros, montis, stylophora, acans, euphillia, mushrooms, others
    Other Equipment: Apex controller, ATO system, Carbon and GFO reactor, Pumps: 1 Vortech MP40w ES, 1 Tunze 6098, 1 Koralia 4, Eheim 5000 compact return pump RO/DI system

Sea MunnKey is offline Registered User

Has child with the middle name Acropora
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 323
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social Veteran Tagger First Class Overdrive 25000 Experience Points

Level

Any Damsels family and that includes Clownfish are nasty ... ungrateful specimen that "attack" your hands and thus no loyalty shown.

On a side note for a more advance approach ... I would love to keep another Fu ManChu dwarf lionfish as my last one always shows up whenever it sees me ... and yes I do feed him with bare fingers and have never been bothered by my redoing aquascaping in the tank all those years while it was still alive.

I do not have any fish as I'm re-starting in my old 29 gallon ...

Set up date: August 2004 Display Size: 90 Gallon Total Water In System: 90 gallons Do you have a sump? NO
    Do you have a refugium? NO Amount of Liverock: 30++ lbs Depth of Sandbed: 1++ inch Salinity level: 1.026
    ALK level: To Come .. Ammonia: To Come .. Nitrate: N/A Nitrite: N/A
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: To Come ..
    ATI T5HO 6 (54W ATI Blue Plus & Coral Plus) Skimmerless ... for now Bubble Magus 3 Part Auto Dosing
    Fish and Inverts: P. Grandis, Palys & Zoas, Rainbow BTA's, Favia, Aussie Duncans, Chalices, various Euphyllias, various Gonioporas & Selected Acroporas. RARE Leathers, Xenia & Soft Corals combo. Juve Purple Tang & Pygmy Angel, Picasso & Wyoming clownfish Corals: Whatever's saved from the 2013 Ice Storm

D'ya Want A Piece of Me??

Back in Being Salty ...

Rodgerboy is offline Registered User

Just recently rented "Finding Nemo"
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points 31 days registered

Level

But if you want a fish that could last for several years and have your kids name them, I had a yellow bellied (tail) purple damsel. Lived for 11 years and only died because I put in into another holding tank for a major clean-up. RIP

Set up date: October 2005 Display Size: 120 Gallons Total Water In System: 140 gallons Do you have a sump? YES
    Do you have a refugium? NO Amount of Liverock: 40 lbs Depth of Sandbed: 2 inches - Working on eliminating my sandbed. Salinity level: 1.022
    ALK level: Not Sure Ammonia: 6 PPM Nitrate: 7 PPM Nitrite: 2 PPM
    What lighting are you using? What skimmer are you using? Calcium Reactor? Calcium level: Not sure
    T5's set of 6 H&S 120 with Aquabee punmp. No I am not using one.
    Fish and Inverts: Just have one purple damsel and a brittle star. Corals: Assorted zoos.
    Other Equipment: Zira 265 power pump. 3 Return tunzie's.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread Information